How do I diagnose a connection problem, troubleshoot error 57, or determine if the software is unable to get updates or e-file?
The inability to connect from the Drake Tax program to the Drake servers, transmit returns, retrieve acknowledgements, or pick up software updates may or may not generate one of the following error messages:
- Internet connection is not present.
- Cannot find Drake server using existing connection.
- Error 57 when installing updates.
- Authentication failed. Check EFIN and Drake e-File password.
To diagnose a connection problem, you must find the source of the problem. Before getting started, gather general background information. This may help you resolve the problem, and it will help you answer questions if you need to call an IT Professional or Drake Support for assistance.
- Are there any error messages that seem to be associated with the problem, and what are they?
- How is internet service delivered? ISP, Cable, Modem, etc. Is the service delivered over the telephone lines, or otherwise? Is it distributed in the office by cable, by wireless, or through a router?
- When did the problem start?
- Was there any event associated with the start of the problem? (Such as storm, power outage, disk crash, replaced equipment, reinstalled software, or work on a local network to which the transmitting computer belongs.)
- Has the transmitting computer, and modem, if any, been rebooted since the problem started?
- What is the Operating System (OS) of the transmitting computer?
- Are you aware of any software or hardware firewalls, parental-control or other user-restrictive software?
- Is there a local network, and if so, how is Drake installed?
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!