How do I file an extension for a 990 return?
You can use Form 8868, Application for Extension of Time to File an Exempt Organization Return, to e-file a request for an automatic 6-month extension.
To prepare an extension:
- Open the EXT screen and check the box for the return type that will be filed and make any other entries as needed.
- Generate six-month extension for Form 990.
- Generate six-month extension for Form 990-T
- Generate six-month extension for Form 4720.
- On the EF screen, check the box Federal 8868 only.
- Make sure the PIN screen is completed if filing the 8868 with a payment.
- In view mode:
- On the ETD_MSG page, clear any messages.
- On the 990EF page, confirm that the 8868 option is selected.
- When you select the return for transmission, confirm that only the 8868 is listed in the EF Documents column of the EF Return Selector.
Once you have filed the extension and are ready to file the the regular return, follow these steps:
- On the EF screen, uncheck the box Federal 8868 only and check the appropriate box(es) for what you intend to transmit.
- Go to the EXT screen and check the box Extension was previously filed; ready to file tax return.
- This box must be marked whether you paper-filed or e-filed the extension.
- When you select the return for transmission, confirm that the 8868 is not listed in the EF Documents column of the EF Return Selector.
For more information on extensions for tax exempt organizations, please see the Instructions for Form 990.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!