Knowledge Base

14867: Not a Dependent - HOH Qualifier

1040 Individual

To qualify for head of household filing status, do I have to claim my child as a dependent?

Generally, to qualify for head of household, you must have a qualifying child or dependent. However, a custodial parent may be able to claim head of household filing status with a qualifying child even if he or she released a claim to exemption for the child. See Pub 501 for more information.

To indicate this in Drake Tax, go to screen 2 (Dependents) and select the Not a Dependent - Taxpayer is a HOH qualifier check box.

Note: If no EIC should be taken for this dependent, select the Does not qualify for EIC check box.

Also In This Category

On a scale of 1-5, please rate the helpfulness of this article

Not Helpful
Very Helpful
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...

Thank you for your feedback!

Article has been viewed 15K times.
Last Modified: 4 Months Ago
Article not rated yet.