How do I clear EF Message 5331 on this individual return?
EF Message 5331 occurs if the Preparer # field on screen 1 identifies a preparer who is not set up with a PIN for e-filing. The message may not appear until you attempt to sign the PIN screen. The problem occurs because either screen 1 does not point to the intended preparer, but rather someone else who is missing a PIN or, the preparer is correct but lacks a PIN setup.
Note: If the Preparer # field is blank, the return will use preparer #1 by default.
To fix the problem, choose one of the following options:
- Open screen 1 and use the drop list to set the Preparer # field to a preparer who is set up with a PIN (you can check which preparers have PINs in the steps below).
- Open screen 1 and note the number displayed in the Preparer # field. In the steps that follow, you may have to be logged in with full security or as admin. See your system administrator if you cannot proceed.
- Close the return and go to Setup > Preparer(s). Note the preparer numbers listed in the left-hand Number column.
- Select the preparer whose number was shown on screen 1 by clicking the entry.
- Open the entry by clicking the Edit Preparer button.
- Under Return Signature Options, confirm or enter a 5-digit number in the PIN Signature box and a check in the box 8879 PIN Signature. (Checking Alternative Electronic Signature is not necessary to e-file.)
- Click Save and Exit setup.
- Go back into the return and view.
- The message should be cleared.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!