I scanned a 200-page brokerage statement and attached it to a 1040 to support screen 8949 entries. When I try to e-file, I get an "unsent batch" under Files for EF on the Transmit/Receive screen.
An "unsent batch" message can be caused by a simple internet connection failure, but it also can be caused by variety of other internet connection problems, including the EFIN and e-file Password being incorrect in the Setup > ERO screen.
There is a 128 MB total transmission size limit, but a successful transmission also depends on the speed and other characteristics of your internet connection at the time of transmission. In your case, the large size of the scanned brokerage statement PDF file may have contributed to the transmission failure. Each individual PDF attachment must be no larger than 60 MB per Publication 4164. When either size limitation is exceeded, or the internet connection is not strong or stable, the return will not be transmitted and the "unsent batch" remains on the Transmit/Receive screen.
To remove the unsent file from the Transmit/Receive screen, select the file, click Review, select the file again and click Remove.
To e-file the return, you have a few options:
- Transmit the return and attachment again at a different time, when your internet connection is better.
- Try transmitting the federal and state returns separately to decrease the individual transmission size.
- To transmit returns separately, use the EF EF Selections screen to specify which return(s) should be transmitted.
- Be sure to recalculate the return before going back to EF > Select Returns for EF.
- Lower the file size of the attachment file to reduce transmission time. A smaller file size is less exposed to transmission hazards.
- Re-scan the attachment at a lower (but legible) resolution. For example, scan at 200 DPI rather than 600 DPI, and scan in monochrome, not color (color greatly increases file size). Note the location where you save the new scan file.
Reattach the file. In View mode of the return, click Attach PDF. Click Browse and navigate to the location of the new scan file. Select the file and click Open. This replaces the original attached file. Exit the PDF Attachments screen.
- Recalculate the return before attempting to re-transmit.
- Use a Paper Document Indicator (PDI), and mail the brokerage statement with Form 8453 when the e-filed return is accepted.
- To do this, go to the EF screen in the return.
- Under Form 8453 Paper Document Indicators, select Form 8949.
- The software generates a Form 8453 that you can print (it is not transmitted) and mail with the statement to the IRS.
- Remove the PDF screen and the large optional PDF attachments from the return by pressing CTRL + D on the PDF Attachments screen.
- For details, see Related Links below.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!