Knowledge Base

12347: Pay Federal/State Balance Due by Credit or Debit Card

Fed Returns Generally

Is there a way to pay an amount due for a taxpayer with a credit or debit card?

Credit or debit card payment can be made using either of two methods:

  • Integrated File and Pay (IFP) (before return is e-filed)
    • Federal payments only for 1040 or 4868 extension.
    • Arrange to make the payment from inside a completed return before the return is e-filed. (Card is not charged until the return has been accepted.)
    • Use the IFP screen (on the Miscellaneous tab, or click the Pay balance due ... link on the PMT and 4868 screen).
    • For more information about IFP, see KB article "Use Integrated File and Pay to Pay a 1040 or 4868 Balance Due by Credit/Debit Card" in Related Links below.
  • (after return is e-filed)
    • IL, KS, MN and federal payments.
    • Payment is made after the return has been e-filed.
    • Use; the ES, X and state FAQ screens include links to this website.
    • For more information about, see "Pay Federal, IL, KS, and MN Balance Due by Credit/Debit Card at" in Related Links below.

Related Links

Also In This Category

On a scale of 1-5, please rate the helpfulness of this article

Not Helpful
Very Helpful
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...

Thank you for your feedback!

Article has been viewed 15K times.
Last Modified: 5 Months Ago
Article not rated yet.