How do I clear EF Message 5090 in an individual return?
EF Message 5090 states:
PIN SCREEN DATE. Either no date or an invalid date has been entered on the PIN screen. The IRS requires the PIN signature date to be during the current processing year.
This message is generated when either of the following is true:
- the PIN screen date is entered incorrectly, or
- the computer date or format is incorrect.
To resolve this message, first check the PIN screen inside data entry. The PIN signature date must be a valid date that occurs during the current processing year. For example, a 2023 return filed during processing year 2024 must have a PIN signature date that falls between January 1, 2024 and December 31, 2024.
If the PIN date meets the above requirements, check your computer date and format. The computer short date setting must be in MM/DD/YYYY format. Other formats may result in this error even when the PIN date is otherwise valid. The steps for changing the short date format are detailed below for each supported Windows operating system.
- Open Control Panel.
- From the View by field drop list (upper right corner of the screen), select Small icons or Large icons, and go to Region and Language, or select Categories and go to Clock, Language, and Region > Region and Language.
- Select the Formats tab.
- In the Short date field, select the MM/DD/YYYY format from the drop list.
- Click OK and then exit Control Panel.
- Go to Settings > Change PC Settings > Time and Language > Date and time or press
(Windows key) + E, enter Date as the search term and click Date and time settings.
- On the Date and time screen, click “Change date and time formats” at the bottom of the screen.
- On the Change date and time formats screen, from the Short date drop list, select MM/DD/YYYY.
- You can leave the Change date and time formats screen by pressing Alt+F4.
- Go to the Start Menu and click Settings.
- Alternatively, right click on your clock icon, choose Adjust date/time, and skip to step 3.
- Select Time and Language.
- On the right hand side of the screen under Related Settings, select Date, time, & regional settings. Select the link to Change data formats.
- On the Change Data Formats Screen, choose MM/DD/YYYY in the Short Date drop list.
- You can close out of the screen after making this selection.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!