Can I password protect a client file in Drake?
Yes, the Password Protect tool will protect client files from unauthorized access. A protected file cannot be opened in data entry until it is unlocked with a password.
To password-protect a file:
- From the Home window of Drake, go to Tools > File Maintenance > Password Protect
- In the Password Protect Client Data Files dialog box,
enter the SSN or EIN of the client file you wish to password-protect.
- Enter an eight-character password in the Enter Password field. Passwords are
case-sensitive and can consist of any combination of letters and numbers.
- Enter the password in the next field to confirm it.
- Click Continue.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to password-protect the file.
- Click Exit.
Note: The Current password field will accept more than eight characters. When attempting to open a client file, if you enter more than eight characters for an eight-character password, the entry is rejected even if the first eight characters match the password.
To remove a password from a client file:
- In the Enter the Client's SSN/EIN field, type the SSN/EIN of the file for which you wish to remove password protection
- In the Current password field, enter the current password, and leave the new password fields blank.
- Click Continue
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the password.
- Click Exit
For more information see the Drake Software Manual.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!