Hosting on Rightworks: How can I change my default PDF viewer in Rightworks?
You can change the default PDF viewer from Adobe Reader to PDF24, Adobe Acrobat Pro (bring-your-own-license), or Foxit PhantomPDFTM Business* within Rightworks by following the steps below. Note that this change must be made for each user.
- PDF24 and Adobe Reader are automatically included on your Rightworks desktop and can be chosen without incurring any additional fees or bringing a license.
- If you have a license for Adobe Acrobat Pro, you can use that license in Rightworks by launching the Adobe icon and entering your Adobe account credentials. If you do not have an Adobe icon, contact the Drake Support team at (828) 349-5556 for assistance.
- New subscriptions of Foxit are not available after
February 1, 2024, however, if you had previously subscribed, you can
continue to use Foxit until the sunset date.
From the File Explorer
- Select any PDF file from the available files.
- At the top, choose the Open icon and select Choose another app from the drop list.
- Select your PDF program in the list of available programs.
- Make sure that the box Always use this app to open .pdf files is marked.
- Click OK.
If PDFs are being opened in Chrome instead of being opened with a PDF viewer, check this setting in Chrome.
- Open your Chrome browser.
- Go to the Menu > Settings > Privacy and security > Site Settings > Additional Content Settings > PDF documents.
- Select Download PDFs instead of Open PDFs in Chrome.
- Changes are saved automatically.
- On the Rightworks Remote Desktop, open Internet Explorer.
- If Internet Explorer is not available on your remote desktop, contact Drake Support at (828) 349-5556 for assistance with enabling the program for the user.
- In Internet Explorer, select Tools and choose Internet Options.
- Select the Programs tab and then click on Set Programs.
Do NOT select Set Associations.
- Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
- Scroll down to locate and select .pdf, then click on Change Program.
- If your desired PDF viewer isn't listed, select More Apps. If the program isn't listed under More Apps, then scroll down and click on Look For Another App On This PC.
- You may get a warning regarding permissions. If so, click OK.
- On the Windows File Explorer, select the PDF program (in this example, PDF24) and click Open.
- Close the Set Associations window. From now on, PDFs opened within Rightworks for this user will use the selected PDF viewer.
Optionally provide private feedback to help us improve this article...
Thank you for your feedback!